Walking the Camino de Santiago is surely one of the most wonderful experiences you could ever do in your lifetime. So, if you have decided to embark on this amazing journey by foot you will need to choose the appropriate footwear due to the many kilometers that you will walk every day.
In this post we would like to share with you recommendations from our specialized team that will help you make the right decision.
Boots, Sneakers, Shoes? You might me wondering which is the best walking footwear to take on your Camino de Santiago journey. To make sure you have a pleasant and enjoyable experience it’s important to consider different factors when choosing your footwear.
Things to consider before choosing the best footwear
- Analyze the different types of surfaces: along the way you will walk on different types of surfaces, such as asphalt, dirt, mud, grass and others. So it is vital to be well informed on how is the route you are about to take and which surface predominates so that you can select the footwear that best adapts to it.
- Research the weather: will you be doing the Camino on a rainy season or dry season? This is also important because in the summer the weather can be quite hot and maybe a pair of specialized sandals can also be considered.
The best footwear to walk the Camino de Santiago
To be able to choose the best footwear first consider the thickness of the shoe to protect your feet from blisters or chafing. Our specialists recommend the thickest sole, preferably one that has a double layer, and at the same time is waterproof.
Why? So that your sweat can be absorbed more easily and the moisture from outside does not penetrate inside your shoe.
Also, make sure you select a footwear that is stable for all types of terrains, that is, that they are capable of withstanding: asphalt, grass, dirt soil, stones, etc., all in very high temperatures in summer and low in winter.
If you wear sports shoes or running shoes, they will break with only two hours of walking on the most demanding terrain, so discard those shoes that have soft soles, have heels, are open, have flat pads, or that are made of fine leather.
Our most recommended shoe options to walk the Camino de Santiago
- Mountain boots: this is one of the most recommended footwear since they are specially designed for trekking. You should check that they have a padded pad and good support to avoid uncomfortable rubbing with the ankles.
- Trekking shoes: we suggest the ones that are used by athletes. They are considered ideal for travelling on a pilgrimage. It has a special technology, which allows movement freedom and foot comfort, cushioning every step you take on each road, and in most cases, they are usually waterproof.
- Closed sandals: Only if you come in the summer, we recommend the sandals that are closed. Make sure they have a non-slip sole for more humid areas or puddles.
Finally, here are 3 tips that will help you once you select your ideal footwear:
- Get your shoe professionally fitted to select the right size
- Make sure the ones you select are lightweight as they provide better ankle support
- Wear your Camino shoes as much as you can before embarking on your journey
And of course if you have any questions you can always get in touch with a Camino organizer from our team to help you make the best choice.